Pulled Chicken With Concord Grape BBQ Sauce
- Amber Pankonin, MS, RD, LMNT, a Member of Welch's Health & Nutrition Advisory Panel
I am a member of Welch’s Health & Nutrition Advisory Panel, but the following text and opinions are mine.
With summer here, I’ll be spending more time relaxing outdoors and the smell of barbeque will soon be in the air! Both of my brothers are amazing cooks when it comes to smoking and grilling meats, so I’ve learned a lot from them throughout the years about how to prepare a great summer barbeque menu. Even though I love and appreciate the flavor of smoked meats, I don’t have the time or proper equipment to prepare these dishes myself. These types of meats can also be very high in sodium and high in fat, which are not heart healthy.
I wanted to create a healthier alternative to traditional BBQ that didn’t sacrifice flavor. This recipe uses poached chicken breasts that were shredded and combined with a homemade BBQ sauce prepared with Welch’s 100% Grape Juice made with Concord grapes.
It not only tastes delicious, but it also provides the heart-health benefits of the one-of-a-kind Concord grape. 100% grape juice can play an important role in helping meet their daily fruit needs, which is another great reason for cooking with it! I also like this recipe because it uses crushed tomatoes instead of ketchup and it calls for a minimal amount of brown sugar compared to other homemade BBQ sauce recipes. And Welch’s 100% Grape Juice contains no added sugar, which is another nice benefit when cooking with it at home.
Pulled Chicken Sandwiches with Concord Grape BBQ Sauce
Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins Serves: 6
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
- 6 100% Whole Wheat Thin Style Buns
- 1 TB Canola Oil
- 1 Cup Yellow Onion, Diced
- 1 TB Minced Garlic
- 1 TB dry mustard
- 1 tsp chili paste
- 1 TB tomato paste
- 8oz Welch's 100% Grape Juice
- 1 cup Crushed Tomatoes
- ⅓ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 TB Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 TB brown sugar
- ⅓ tsp salt
- Place chicken breasts in a medium saucepan. Cover with water, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover, and let simmer. Poach the chicken for 20 minutes. Remove pan from heat and transfer chicken to a cutting board and let cool. Once chicken is cool, shred into bite size pieces and set aside until sauce is prepared.
- While chicken is being poached, prepare the sauce:
- In a sauce pan, heat oil over medium-high heat; add onions and sauté 2-3 minutes
- Mix in garlic, mustard and chili paste and continue cooking 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook 1-2 more minutes.
- Add Welch's 100% grape juice, crushed tomatoes, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, salt and bring to a simmer. Stir well.
- Lower heat and simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Combine sauce with chicken and mix well. Remove from heat and serve with thin style hamburger buns or serve open face with half a regular hamburger bun.
- Garnish with chopped carrots, cabbage, and green onion.
Note: Nutrition facts are based on using a thin style bun (pictured above uses a regular sized, whole-wheat bun)
Nutrition Information: Serving size: 1 sandwich Calories: 329 Fat: 5 g Carbohydrates: 37 mg Sugar: 13 g Sodium: 462 mg Fiber: 6 g Protein: 40 g Cholesterol: 80 mg
View original blog post article here, by Amber Pankonin, MS, RD, LMNT, a member of Welch's Health & Nutrition Advisory Panel.