Tasty Tips for a Healthy Halloween
Contributed by Welch’s Dietitian, Casey Lewis, MS, RD
Don’t be afraid! Halloween is right around the corner, but that doesn’t have to mean jeopardizing your healthy eating routine. Here are a few hauntingly healthy party ideas to help keep you on track while pleasing your guests, from the little goblins to the grown-up ghouls.
A Scary Sip: Party punches can be both wicked delicious and nutritious with the right combination of ingredients. Get your caldron out and whip up Welch’s Witch’s Brew, which is made with no added sugar and delivers the goodness of Concord grapes in every goblet:
- In a medium pot, combine Welch’s 100% Grape Juice, club soda, cinnamon sticks and nutmeg.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat.
- Simmer the mixture until the juice becomes infused with the spices, about 20 minutes.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Serve in a spooky goblet.
- Optional: add peeled grapes to look like "eyeballs"
Nightmarish Nibbles: There are no tricks to these tasty treats. These snacks are healthier takes on common party fare that will make your guests scream for more!
Frightening Favors: No Halloween party is complete without ghoulish gifts for your guest. But, instead of cookies, candy and other sweet treats, get creative! Send your visitors home with a one-of-a-kind party favor by adding DIY jack o’lantern or mummy making stations to your ghostly gathering.
All you need to make your mummies come to life are 10 oz. juice bottles of Welch’s 100% Grape Juice, white paper streamers and plastic eyes.