Pan-Cooked Apples and Pears in Grape Juice
- 2 cooking apples, golden delicious or Granny Smith cored, peeled and cut in chunks
- 2 Bosc pears, cored, peeled and cut in chunks
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-tablespoon low fat spread
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 orange
- 1 cinnamon stick. Broken
- 2/3 cup Welch’s 100% Grape Juice made with Concord grapes
- 1-cup blueberries, frozen or fresh
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1-teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 sprig of fresh mint, to decorate
- In a bowl toss apples, pears and lemon juice, to prevent discoloring
- In a skillet over low heat melt fat spread, add sugar, and stir to form a paste.
- Stir in fruit chunks and cook for 2 minutes until well coated in the sugar paste.
- Pare off a few strips of orange peel and add to pan with cinnamon stick.
- Add grape juice, extract juice from the orange and pour into pan.
- Bring to a boil, and then simmer for 10 minutes, occasionally stirring.
- Add blueberries. Cook for 5 minutes until apples and pears are tender.
- Dissolve cornstarch in the water and add to mixture. Cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Discard orange peel and cinnamon pieces. Transfer to a serving plate. Decorate with a sprig of fresh mint and serve hot or cold.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Nutrition Per Serving
280 calories, 1g fat, 0g saturated fat, 6g protein, 65g carbohydrate, 15mg sodium, 10g fiber.