Golden Grape Cake with Grape Juice Reduction
A beautiful grape cake for any occasion. Kid friendly and delicious!
- Place Welch’s 100% White Grape Juice into a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and allow the juice to simmer until it has reduced by half, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a 9-inch non-stick round baking pan with cooking spray and dust with extra cornmeal. Shake the pan to evenly coat all sides and the bottom. and tap out the excess.
- Stir together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Place eggs and sugar into a mixing bowl and beat with a mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Turn mixer to low speed and slowly add in the olive oil. Beat in the milk, vanilla extract and orange zest until well incorporated, about 1 minute.
- Slowly incorporate the dry mixture into the wet mixture a half cup at a time while mixing on low speed until all the dry ingredients have been incorporated. Using a spatula, transfer the batter into the prepared round baking pan. Disperse the grapes over the top of the batter.
- Bake for about 50-60 minutes until toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean and cake is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and place pan on a wire rack and let cool for 5–10 minutes. Turn pan over onto wire rack to continue cooling.
- To serve, slice the cake and drizzle reduction over the cake.
For the reduction
For the Grape Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup fine grind, whole-grain yellow cornmeal, plus extra for dusting the pan
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup non-fat milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 cups seedless grapes: a mixture of whole red, green and black; washed and stems removed