Grape Berry Crunch Muffins
These delicious alternatives to blueberry muffins can be made regular sized, or as “mini” muffins* for the kids!
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Coat a muffin pan with cooking spray or line with paper cups.
- Place the granola in a heavy-duty plastic bag and crush it lightly with a rolling pin or other heavy object to break up any large clumps. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until blended.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the grape juice, egg, oil, sugar and lemon zest until incorporated. Add this wet mixture to the dry ingredients, blend and stir with a rubber spatula until homogenized. Fold in the blueberries.
- Fill the prepared muffin cups about two-thirds with batter. Sprinkle with the granola and pat it in lightly so that it adheres.
- Place the muffin pan in the oven and bake until the tops are golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Run a small knife around the edges and turn the muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve at room temperature.
*To make mini muffins, you will need 3 mini muffin pans (1 1/8 inch by 3/4 inch). Bake mini muffins 12-14 minutes.