Vegan Tempeh Mushroom Bourguignon
This vegan dish brings together the nutritious combination of tempeh, mushrooms and carrots slowly simmered in a delicious, Concord grape sauce.
- In a large bowl with a lid, combine tempeh, carrots, onion, garlic, grape juice, 1 cup of stock, vinegar, tamari or soy sauce, herbs de Provence, pepper and bay leaf.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven or stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Strain vegetables and tempeh and reserve marinade.
- Add vegetables and tempeh to pot and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste followed by reserved marinade.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and remaining vegetable stock and cook an additional 10 minutes.
Recipe Created by: Emily Cooper, RDN
- 1 block tempeh (8 ounces), cubed
- 2 large carrots, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 cup Welch's 100% Grape Juice
- 1 cup + ½ cup low-sodium vegetable stock, divided
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon herbs de Provence
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup button mushrooms, quartered