Backyard Burgers with Grape Jelly Caramelized Onions
Serves: 4 Prep Time: 10 min Cook Time: 40 min Total Time: 50 min
Welch’s Grape Jelly isn’t just for toast! Try folding some into your next batch of caramelized onions for a sweet kick that pairs perfectly with our easy-to-make backyard burgers.
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook low and slow for 25 minutes. Once the onions are very soft, stir in thyme, chili flakes, Welch’s Concord Grape Jelly, stock, and salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook for another 15 minutes or until liquid has mostly evaporated.
- For the burgers, gently combine ground turkey, egg, breadcrumbs, Dijon mustard, and salt and pepper. Divide and shape the mixture into 4 x 3/4–inch patties. Using your knuckles, make a shallow depression in the center of each patty.
- Preheat a lightly oiled grill to medium-high heat. Grill the burgers for 8 minutes per side or until completely cooked through. Transfer onto buns with optional garnishes and top with a spoonful of caramelized onions.
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 pinch dried red chili flakes
- 3 tbsp Welch’s Concord Grape Jelly
- ¼ cup low-sodium chicken stock or water
- Salt and pepper
- Optional garnishes: romaine lettuce and tomato
Serving Size: 1 burger
- 361 calories
- 11g fat
- 3g saturated fat
- 80mg cholesterol
- 536mg sodium
- 41g carbohydrates
- 7.8g fiber
- 9.5g sugar
- 29g protein