Poached Pears in Grape Juice
Serves: 4 Prep Time: 10 min Cook Time: 20 min Total Time: 30 min
An all-ages take on poached pears in wine! This heart-healthy version is kid-friendly, but also has an upscale look that can work for a dinner party.
- In a medium saucepan bring the Welch's 100% grape juice, cinnamon and orange rind to a boil.
- Place the pears upright (with stem on top) into the saucepan and simmer for 15-20 minutes on medium to low heat.
- Make sure to keep the pears moist by spooning the juice over them as they simmer.
- Remove pears from the sauce, reserve and cool completely.
- Simmer the remaining sauce and reduce it to about 1/3 cup. Remove from heat and cool. Drizzle the sauce over the pears when ready to serve.
Serving suggestion: Garnish with whipped cream or vanilla pudding. Heart-Check certification does not apply to serving suggestion.
- 1 ½ cups Welch’s 100% Grape Juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Rind of an orange, 2 strips
- 4 pears (Bosc or Bartlett), peeled and halved, leaving stem in tact
Serving Size: 1 pear with ~1 tablespoon remaining sauce
- 184 calories
- 0g total fat
- 0g saturated fat
- 8mg sodium
- 0mg cholesterol
- 49g carbohydrates
- 1g protein
- 7g fiber
- 36g sugar
Heart-Check certification does not apply to information reached through links unless expressly stated.