Thai Spring Rolls with Sweet and Spicy Grape Dipping Sauce
Serves: 5 Prep Time: 20 min Cook Time: 25 min Total Time: 45 min
These veggie-packed spring rolls pair perfectly with a spicy grape dipping sauce – a creative take on traditional Asian plum sauce.
- Heat a small sauce pan over medium heat.
- Combine grape juice, ginger, soy sauce, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and red pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Whisk in corn starch and let simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat, transfer to a glass container or bowl and let cool.
- Fill a large shallow bowl or a plate (with a lip) with warm water.
- Set the spring roll skin into the warm water and submerge with your finger tips to let soften. This will happen very quickly (about 25 seconds). Remove the skin just before it’s soft, and carefully hold let the water drip off.
- Working quickly, place the skin on the cutting board and fill with veggies, avocado and basil at one edge.
- Fold the skin over the veggies and tuck the edge. Tuck in the sides and continue to roll.
- Set aside and repeat nine more times.
- Serve immediately with the grape dipping sauce.
Recipe Created by: Jessica Patel, RDN, LDN
For the Dipping Sauce:
- 1 cup Welch's 100% Grape Juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce (gluten-free if needed)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¾ teaspoon corn starch mixed with 1 teaspoon water
For the Spring Rolls:
- 10 spring roll skins (found in the Asian section of your grocery store)
- 1 medium English cucumber, cut into matchsticks (about 1 1/3 cup)
- 15 baby carrots, cut into matchsticks (about ¾ cup)
- 1 avocado, sliced thinly (about 1 1/3 cup)
- 10 small basil leaves
Serving Size: 2 rolls with 2 tablespoons sauce
- 180 calories
- 6g total fat
- 1g saturated fat
- 150mg sodium
- 0mg cholesterol
- 29g carbohydrates
- 4g protein
- 4g fiber
- 10g sugar
Heart-Check certification does not apply to information reached through links unless expressly stated.